A Little Permanence Never Hurt Anyone...

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

I actually followed up on my plans for the weekend and tackled cleaning and organizing of my apartment (at least a little bit).

As I approach my three year anniversary in my apartment, I find that my decorating style is moving more towards that of permanence rather than... seasonal. I guess I am just picking up on the way my mom decorated our (and currently decorates her) home. Outside of adding a few cute birds for Spring, pumpkins for Fall, and Santa's for Christmas (plus cut flowers... always cut flowers), my mom's decorating is classic and rarely ever dated or out of style. 

Looking back, when I first started decorating my apartment, I would put up decorations for every season and holiday... Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, the 4th of July, Fall, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Winter... and you know what? That takes a lot of time, space, and money! 

So as I have been putting away my Christmas/Valentine's Day/St. Patrick's Day decor items over the past few weeks (and months), I have decided to move in the direction of my mom (read: adult). More permanent less holiday-y decor. It started with the plate wall in my dining room and has moved into the bookcase wall, also in my dining room.

I knew exactly the direction I was going to move in when, last Monday, at an after-work stop at Michael's I found the white frame (above) on sale for $7.99. It is very Ikea-y (young, modern, fresh) and exactly what I need to fill the space over my bookcase. That space is one of the first things you see when you walk in my apartment (it is just left of being directly in line with my front door); but I haven't really found the right, permanent decor for it.

For a long time I had a framed invitation to the 1984 Reagan inauguration hanging over the bookcase. But after having it up for a while, it became too... heavy, too formal. It will be great for a future office, though, so it is wrapped and packed away!

While I was at Michael's I picked up a few things from their clearance bin, including a black 'J' and glitter clothes pins for only 50 cents per package! I paired them with a cute bunny for Spring and some faux pink peonies, that I can easily change out to match the season (but not go crazy).
I bought two packs of silver glitter clothes pins and two packs of gold glitter clothes pins.
I used the clothes pins for picture holders... and love it!
Glitter Clothes Pin Picture Holders
Here is the transformation of my bookcase area decor:
Paired with my plate wall, I think it looks great! Now... just to finally tackle my dining room table.

{I party with these blogs.}

5 comments:

  1. Very nice. Thanks for sharing and linking up with us at the #WWDParty. Have an awesome weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I like those sparkly clothespins!

    Thanks so much for sharing your creativity on Show-Licious Craft & Recipe Party! Please join us again this Saturday morning at 8:00 am EST! ;)

    ~ Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I have lots of clothespins to do this with! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs